“Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health uses an innovative approach to deliver evidence-informed programs and services to meet the distinctive needs of our communities.”
The purpose of the Human Resources Committee (“the Committee”) is to provide recommendations to the Board of Health (“the BOH”) regarding all matters pertaining to human resources of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (“WDGPH”) according to the By-laws of the BOH.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Committee is to provide leadership and direction by examining, reviewing and reporting to the BOH on agency reports on human resource matters and programs at WDGPH.
- Determine a strategic course of action for all compensation packages, pay equity, benefits, issues and processes governing the well-being of all employees at WDGPH.
- Review and monitor the effective management of risks specific to human resources and succession.
- Review and recommend to the BOH the approval of BOH policies and procedures that deal with matters of human resources.
- Review periodically the Agency’s monitoring and compliance with workplace legislation and regulations including Occupational Health and Safety (OHS), Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Employment Standards (ESA), Human Rights Act (HRA) and Privacy as it relates to employee records.
- Review, as necessary, a summary of litigation including arbitration, pertaining to human resources matters.
- Review and report back to the BOH on any other matter of human resource concern that is referred to the Committee via the BOH or the Medical Officer of Health.
- Receives, reviews and makes recommendations to the BOH with respect to the strategic direction for Collective Agreement negotiations. Final ratification is subject to the approval of the BOH.
It shall be the duty of the Chair of the Committee or designate: i. To report to the BOH on all matters referred to the Committee and to recommend such action as the Committee deems necessary; ii. To ensure that that Recording Secretary forwards and/or posts minutes, as approved by the Committee, on a secure website, for access by all members of the BOH; iii. To forward to the incoming Committee, for the following year, any unresolved matter(s).
The Committee will be composed of a minimum of three (3) voting members of the BOH and ex-officio members. Ex-officio members may include the Chair of the Board, Medical Officer of Health and one or more Directors of WDGPH.
Review & Update:
To be reviewed every two (2) years and updated, as necessary.
A Chair will be appointed at the inaugural meeting of the Board in accordance with the By-laws.
The Medical Officer of Health, or designate, will ensure that appropriate confidential secretarial services are provided to this Committee.
The Committee will determine at their first meeting the number of scheduled meetings for the year. Additional meetings will take place at the call of the Chair. An agenda will be circulated, along with the minutes of the previous meeting at least two (2) days prior to the meeting.
Minutes of Meetings:
Minutes of previous Human Resources Committee meetings will be circulated in advance of all Committee meetings. Copies of all approved minutes will be maintained by the office of the
Medical Officer of Health and Chief Executive Officer.
As per the By-laws of the WDGPH BOH: “A majority of the members of a Committee constitutes a quorum for that Committee. Quorum does not include ex-officio Committee members, including the BOH Chair if attending in an ex-officio capacity or BOH members who have not been appointed by the BOH to that Committee but who have exercised their right to attend. The Chair of the Committee is counted as a member of the Committee for purposes of determining quorum, but does not have to be present for the meeting to proceed or for quorum to be reached.”