Important Notice: Yellow Fever Vaccine Shortage
February 25, 2020: There is currently a shortage of yellow fever vaccine in Canada. If the yellow fever vaccination is required for your upcoming travel, it is important to contact a designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Centre well in advance of your trip to ensure that the vaccine is available.
Currently, WDG Public Health’s travel clinic does not have yellow fever vaccine in stock.
- If you are travelling before June 2020 – find a designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Centre and call ahead to find out if they have the vaccine in stock.
- If you are travelling after June 2020 – please contact WDG Public Health at 1-800-265-7293 and ask to be added to the yellow fever vaccine waiting list.
Planning on travelling to another country?
Once you’ve booked your trip, start planning six to eight weeks ahead of your departure to protect yourself against new illnesses you may be exposed. For some destinations (e.g., India, Africa) it might take even longer to prepare.
You can protect yourself by:
- Learning about the place you’re travelling to
- Following health precautions specific to that place – see the Public Health Agency of Canada website
- Getting immunized against diseases, where possible, by booking an appointment through our travel clinic or with your healthcare provider
We provide travel vaccines and advice
At our travel clinics, you can get personalized travel advice and vaccines from a public health nurse.
There is a cost for the initial counselling appointment, plus the cost of vaccines. You can pay by cash, debit or credit card. Group rates are available. Some shots are free (e.g., tetanus, flu) while you will have to pay for others. We don’t offer third-party billing, but we do provide receipts so you can submit a claim through drug benefit plans.
Please book an appointment at one of our clinics. Please note that the yellow fever vaccine is only available at our Guelph, Fergus and Orangeville locations.
There will be a $25 cancellation fee if an appointment is cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice or if a patient fails to show.
Before your appointment
When you book an appointment, you will be emailed an online questionnaire. Please complete this questionnaire a minimum of one week before your scheduled appointment.
What to bring to your travel appointment
- A record of your previous immunizations (shots)
- A list of medications you take
- Questions you have after reading about your travel destination
Group travel presentations
If you have a group of 10 or more people, you can book one of our off-site Group Travel Presentations. It includes a video that details preventative measures to maximize safety during your travels, followed by a PowerPoint presentation highlighting diseases relevant to your travel destination(s).
Following the presentation the nurse will make vaccine recommendations and provide prescriptions to optimize protection while you’re away.
Register online for a group presentation (you will need to create/sign into an existing account to book).