Radon & Lung Cancer Drop-In Information Nights
In November, we are hosting a series of three information nights about radon and lung cancer – in Guelph, Fergus and Orangeville. Drop in to ask experts about testing your home for radon and purchase a discounted radon test kit for $35. These sessions are free and all are welcome.
- Monday, November 6, 2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Victoria Road Rec Centre, 151 Victoria Road, Guelph, ON
- Thursday, November 9, 2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Alder Street Rec Centre, 275 Alder Street, Orangeville, ON
- Tuesday, November 21, 2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Centre Wellington Community Sportsplex, 550 Belsyde Ave. E., Fergus, ON
For the month of November, you can purchase a discounted radon test kit online. Please note that after November, the discounted price may not be available.
If you purchase a test kit online in November, you may either:
- Pick it up at one of our locations (Guelph, Fergus or Orangeville) from December 5 to 21, 2017 OR
- Have it mailed to your home address
Ready to purchase your radon test kit? Visit Safetech Environmental Ltd. to purchase online.
What is Radon?
Radon – you can’t see it, smell it or taste it, but this naturally occurring gas can leak into your home from soil, rock and groundwater. It’s also the second leading cause of lung cancer.
The most common points of entry for radon are cracks in the foundation, drains and spaces around pipes. In enclosed spaces, typically on the lowest level of your home is where the gas can accumulate.
High levels of radon present a health risk: radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. The risks of developing lung cancer from radon are greater for smokers and those exposed to second-hand smoke. The only way to know the level of radon in your home is to test for it.
Testing your home for radon is easy and inexpensive. We suggest using an approved long-term radon detector (from this list of approved devices) for at least three months. The best time to test is between September and April, when windows and doors are usually closed. If the radon level in your home is high, there are steps that you can take to lower it.