MEETING DATE: November 7, 2018
PREPARED BY: Jessica Morris, Manager, Environmental Health
APPROVED BY: Christopher Beveridge, Director, Health Protection
SUBMITTED BY: Dr. Nicola J. Mercer, MD, MBA, MPH, FRCPC Medical Officer of Health & CEO
- The Food Safety program conducts annual inspections and disease follow-up.
- All compliance and complaint inspection reports are publically available on the Check Before You Choose website.
Strategic Directions & Goals
Service Centred Approach
- We are committed to providing excellent service to anyone interacting with public health.
- Building Health Communities
- We will work with communities to support the health and well-being of everyone.
Operational Plan Objectives
- To improve health and quality of life
- Reduced morbidity and mortality
- Reducing health inequities among population groups
Summary of OPHS Program Requirements
OPHS Program: Food Safety
- To prevent or reduce the burden of food-borne illness.
- Disease Prevention/Health Protection
|2018 Food Safety Performance Indicator||2018 Q3 Actual||Comments|
|# of reported cases of foodborne illness||157||From July – 30 Sept 2018|
|% reported cases of foodborne illness attributed to exposure settings of (i.e. food premises, daycares, homes, etc.)||N/A||Data collection and extraction process under review|
|# of food handlers trained and certified in food safety||834||From Jan-Sep 2018|
|% foodborne illness caused by unsafe food handling at home||15.7%||Based on comments regarding risk factors regarding hand hygiene and proper preparation/handling of foods|
Performance variance or discrepancy identified:
WDGPH staff investigate all reports of foodborne illness. All public food service premises are inspected based on risk. Food handler training courses are offered each month.
- BH.01.SEP0518.C13 2018 Mid-Year Food Safety Program Indicator Summary
- Safe Food (Jan-Jun 2016) Program/Service Information Report
- BH.01.SEP0716.R14 The Role of WDGPH in Food Product Recalls
- BH.01.SEP0617.R22 Campylobacter Outbreak Investigation
- BH.01.DEC0617.R32 Healthy Menu Choices Act