“Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health uses an innovative approach to deliver evidenceinformed programs and services to meet the distinctive needs of our communities.”
The purpose of the Finance Committee (hereto “the Committee”) is to provide recommendations to the BOH regarding all matters of banking and finance according to the By-laws of the BOH.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consulting and determining direction for the annual budget taking into consideration the current economic environment, the Ontario Public Health Standards, the Ontario Public Health Organizational Standards, WDGPH strategic directions and the best interests of the organization.
- Providing leadership and direction in financial matters for BOH approved projects.
- Reviewing all annual financial statements.
- Reviewing all quarterly financial statements.
- Reviewing and providing leadership and direction for all projected, planned or draft annual budgets.
- Periodically reviewing policies with respect to staff discretionary spending.
- Ensuring that written documentation and corporate reporting are in compliance with BOH policies and standard accounting principles.
- Reviewing and ensuring that all risk management is complete with respect to insurance coverage for the BOH.
- Present to the BOH the budget for approval.
It shall be the duty of the Chair of the Committee or designate:
i. To report to the Board on all matters referred to the Committee and to recommend such action as the Finance Committee deems necessary;
ii. To ensure that the Recording Secretary forwards and/or posts minutes, as approved by the Finance Committee, on a secure website, for access by all members of the Board of Health;
iii. To forward to the incoming Committee, for the following year, any unresolved matter.
The Committee will be composed of a minimum of three voting members of the BOH and ex-officio members. Ex-officio members may include the Chair of the Board, Medical Officer of Health and one or more Directors of WDGPH.
Review and Update:
To be reviewed every 2 years and updated, as necessary.
The Secretary-Treasurer of the Board of Health shall be appointed as the Chair of the Finance Committee.
The Medical Officer of Health or designate will ensure that appropriate confidential secretarial services are provided to this committee.
The Committee will determine at their first meeting the number of scheduled meetings for the year. Additional meetings will take place at the call of the Chair. An agenda will be circulated, along with the minutes of the previous meeting at least 2 days prior to the meeting.
Minutes of Meetings:
Reports and recommendations from the Finance Committee will be brought forward to the next Board of Health meeting for discussion even if prior to ratification of the Finance Committee minutes.
Open session minutes of previous meetings will be circulated in advance of all meetings and closed session minutes will be distributed at the meeting. Copies of all approved minutes will be maintained by the office of the Chief Executive Officer and Medical Officer of Health.
As per the By-laws of the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Board of Health: “A majority of the members of the Board constitutes a quorum of the Board. The Chair is included as a member of the Board in constituting a quorum.”