Public Health inspects food vendors at farmers’ markets. This page has forms and guidelines for farmers’ market organizers and vendors.
Farmers’ market organizers have the following responsibilities:
- Contact Public Health 60 days before the opening of a farmers’ market.
- Provide a copy of the Farmers’ Market Application (PDF, 1 page, 182 KB) to your food vendors.
Farmers’ market food vendors have the following responsibilities:
- At least 30 days prior to selling food at a farmers’ market, complete and submit the Farmers’ Market Application (PDF, 1 page, 182 KB).
- Follow the instructions in the fact sheet Health Requirements for Food Vendors at Public Markets (PDF, 1 page, 173 KB).
- Ensure that all foods served, displayed, or offered for sale come from an inspected facility.
We recommend that all food handlers become food safety certified.
Exempt farmers’ markets
If at least 51% of the vendors at a market are farm product producers and sell their own products, the market is exempt from Ontario Food Premises Regulation 562. Vendors must still complete and submit the Farmers’ Market Application (PDF, 1 page, 182 KB).
Exempt vendors are not exempt from the Health Protection and Promotion Act.