“Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health uses an innovative approach to deliver evidence-informed programs and services to meet the distinctive needs of our communities.”
The purpose of the Finance and Facilities Committee (hereto “the Committee”) is to provide recommendations to the BOH regarding all matters of banking, finance and the management of property according to the By-laws of the BOH.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consulting and determining direction for the annual budget taking into consideration the current economic environment, the Public Health Accountability Framework as provided within the Ontario Public Health Standards: Requirements for Programs, Services, and Accountability, WDGPH strategic directions and the best interests of the organization.
- Providing leadership and direction in financial matters for BOH approved projects.
- Reviewing all annual financial statements.
- Reviewing all quarterly financial statements.
- Reviewing and providing leadership and direction for all projected, planned or draft annual budgets
- Reviewing the annual Ministry – Board of Health Accountability Agreement or any other financial report as required under the new Public Health Accountability Framework.
- Periodically reviewing policies with respect to staff discretionary spending.
- Ensuring that written documentation and corporate reporting are in compliance with BOH policies and standard accounting principles.
- Reviewing and ensuring that all risk management is complete with respect to insurance coverage for the BOH.
- Present to the BOH the budget for approval.
- Consulting and determining a strategic action plan on matters of concern to the BOH regarding the acquisition, disposal, care and maintenance of all properties in which the Board has an interest.
- Provide leadership and direction on matters related to BOH leased facilities.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable statutory requirements contained in municipal, provincial and federal legislation.
- Provide leadership and direction to approved BOH Facility projects.
- Receiving and exchanging information related to all matters of the management of property on behalf of the BOH in accordance with the By-laws.
It shall be the duty of the Chair of the Committee or designate:
i. To report to the Board on all matters referred to the Committee and to recommend such action as the Finance and Facilities Committee deems necessary;
ii. To ensure that the Recording Secretary forwards and/or posts minutes, as approved by the Finance and Facilities Committee, on a secure website, for access by all members of the Board of Health;
iii. To forward to the incoming Committee, for the following year, any unresolved matter.
The Committee will be composed of a minimum of three voting members of the BOH and ex-officio members. Ex-officio members may include the Chair of the Board, Medical Officer of Health and one or more Directors of WDGPH.
Review and Update:
To be reviewed every 2 years and updated, as necessary.
The Secretary-Treasurer of the Board of Health shall be appointed as the Chair of the Finance and Facilities Committee.
The Medical Officer of Health or designate will ensure that appropriate confidential secretarial services are provided to this committee.
The Committee will determine at their first meeting the number of scheduled meetings for the year. Additional meetings will take place at the call of the Chair. An agenda will be circulated, along with the minutes of the previous meeting at least 2 days prior to the meeting.
Minutes of Meetings:
Reports and recommendations from the Finance and Facilities Committee will be brought forward to the next Board of Health meeting for discussion even if prior to ratification of the Finance and Facilities Committee minutes.
Open session minutes of previous meetings will be circulated in advance of all meetings and closed session minutes will be distributed at the meeting. Copies of all approved minutes will be maintained by the office of the Chief Executive Officer and Medical Officer of Health.
As per the By-laws of the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Board of Health:
“A majority of the members of a Committee constitutes a quorum for that Committee. Quorum does not include ex-officio Committee members, including the Board Chair if attending in an ex-officio capacity or Board members who have not been appointed by the Board to that Committee but who have exercised their right to attend. The Chair of the Committee is counted as a member of the Committee for purposes of determining quorum, but does not have to be present for the meeting to proceed or for quorum to be reached.”