September’s Theme is: Healthy Schools
The Healthy Schools initiative is a partnership of educators, students and the community that is designed to promote the physical, emotional and social healthof the school community.
A Healthy Schools approach follows a six-step process and uses the Ministry of Education’s Foundations for a Healthy School framework. The purpose is to engage the whole school community to take action on health topics that are important to them.
Becoming a Healthy School:
- Enhances physical, emotionaland social health
- Improves academic achievement
- Improves student, family andcommunity engagement
- Complements schoolimprovement plans
How can your school get involved?
Talk to your school administration and follow the six-step process.
Call Public Health at1-800-265-7293 ext. 4111 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for support and resource recommendations.
Register with Ophea’s Healthy Schools Certification initiative. Visit ophea.net/HSCertification.
To view the Ministry’s framework, click Foundations for a Healthy School at edu.gov.on.ca/eng/healthyschools.
Don’t miss out!
Apply by Nov. 16, 2018 for a $200 grant from Public Health to support your school. Visit www.wdgpublichealth.ca/healthyschool
Important September 2018 Dates
Monday, September 3:
- Labour Day
Tuesday, September 4:
- Ophea Healthy Schools Registration Opens: ophea.net/HSCertification
- Fresh from the Farm fundraising begins: freshfromfarm.ca
Sunday, September 16:
- Terry Fox Day: terryfox.org
Thursday, September 27:
- Terry Fox National School Run Day:
Friday, September 28:
- World Rabies Day: wdgpublichealth.ca/rabies