Immunizations Required for School Attendance FAQs

Due to COVID response, appointments are suspended until further notice. Please contact your primary care provider or make an appointment at a walk-in clinic if possible. Check back later for updates on when this service will resume.

Why did I receive a notification about my child’s immunizations from Public Health?

You received a notification about your child’s immunizations because:

  1. Public Health does not have a complete immunization record for your child on file, or
  2. Your child requires immunization(s).

In Ontario, the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) requires that all children attending schools be fully immunized or have a valid exemption on file for the following:

  • Tetanus
  • Diphtheria
  • Polio
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella (German measles)
  • Meningococcal disease (meningitis)
  • Pertussis (whooping cough)
  • Varicella (chickenpox) – for children born on or after January 1, 2010.
    • If your child has had chickenpox infection, a valid medical exemption is required.

Failure to provide proof of these immunizations or a valid exemption can result in school suspension.

Will my child be suspended from school?

No, students who do not have valid immunizations will NOT be suspended in the 2021-2022 school year. It is Public Health’s intention to resume the suspension process in the 2022-2023 school year.

Where should my child get the required immunizations?

Call your family doctor to book an appointment or visit a walk in clinic.

  • Bring an up-to-date copy of your child’s immunization record to your appointment. If you do not have a yellow card, you can print a copy of your record by visiting

My child was given these immunizations at my doctor’s office. Why doesn’t Public Health know this?

Doctors are not required to report immunizations given in their office to Public Health. It is a parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to report their child’s immunizations to Public Health.

How do I report my child’s immunizations to Public Health?

Please note, COVID-19 vaccinations for your child(ren) do NOT need to be reported to Public Health.



Phone:1-800-265-7293 ext. 4396

Mail: Vaccine Records, 160 Chancellors Way, Guelph, ON N1G 0E1

What are some other common reasons for receiving this notification?

  • Immunizations must be given according to Ontario’s immunization schedule to be valid for school attendance. This may vary from other Canadian provinces and countries. In addition, some immunizations are given too early, and sometimes the spacing between immunizations is too close. A colour coded chart is included with the notification you received to help you understand your child’s immunization needs.
  • Public Health was not notified that your child received an immunization. Example: An immunization is recorded on your child’s yellow immunization card, but the notification you received indicates that your child still needs this immunization. Visit to update your child’s immunization record.

What if my child is unable to be immunized for medical, religious or conscientious reasons?

Visit for more information about immunization exemptions.

I still have questions about my child’s immunizations. Where can I get more information?

Visit our website:

Call Vaccine Records:1-800-265-7293 ext. 4396

Call our Immunization Line to speak to a Public Health Nurse:1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006. Calls may not be returned for 5-10 business days.