You are here


Immunizations (shots) give your child extra protection against diseases. It’s important for children to get their immunizations on time – whether as babies, before daycare, in elementary school, or in high school.

Come to one of our clinics to get free immunizations, including the flu shot.

Recommended immunization schedule for children and teens

The Ontario immunization schedule may be different for children who were immunized in another country. However, once the child lives in Ontario, they must follow Ontario's schedule. This may mean the child may need additional immunizations to "catch up" to the current Ontario schedule.

Childcare (daycare)

Before starting in licensed childcare, your child must have certain shots required by the Government of Ontario. Or, you must file a legal statement of exemption (medical exemption or conscientious exemption) with the childcare facility and with Public Health.

This is according to the Day Nurseries Act, 1990, Reg. 262, s.62 (4).

School-aged children

Children who go to school must have up-to-date shots as required by the Government of Ontario, or a legal exemption. Public Health must also have copies of these records.  You should give immunization information to the school when registering your child. But if your child gets additional shots, you have to report them directly to us.

Our role is to collect, screen, and keep up-to-date records of immunizations for students, according to the Immunization of School Pupils Act.

If your child is not immunized, he/she might be sent home if there is an outbreak of disease at the school, and kept out of the school until the outbreak is over.

How to update your child’s immunization records

We screen the immunization records of all children going to school in Wellington, Dufferin, and Guelph. If the child’s immunizations are not up-to-date, we will mail you a form. When we schedule catch-up clinics in high schools, they'll be listed here. If you receive a form, follow these steps:

  1. Provide any missing information
  2. Get any missing shots (call your doctor or Public Health to book an appointment, or check the secondary school clinic schedule
  3. Return the questionnaire to the school or to Public Health in one of the following ways:
  • Mail: 160 Chancellors Way, Guelph, N1G 0E1
  • Phone: 1-800-265-7293 ext. 4396
  • Fax: 519-836-7215

Having an incomplete immunization record means your child could be suspended from school until we receive proof of the required immunizations. Our nurses work with schools and parents to try to prevent suspensions – we want your child to have the safest and healthiest school year possible.

Note: Teens ages 16 and older must provide consent for parents or guardians to access their immunization records. To provide consent, your teen must fax written consent to 519-836-7215 or call 1-800-265-7293 ext. 4396.

Elementary school immunization program

Public health nurses visit schools to offer additional (non-mandatory) vaccines. Find out when we will be at your child’s school.

Vaccines offered:



# doses


Fact sheet & consent (PDF format)


(boys & girls)

Meningococcal A-C-Y-W135 (Menactra)


Any time in gr. 7

Menactra (meningococcal) fact sheet & consent form

Hepatitis B 
(Recombivax or Engerix)


4-6 months apart

Hepatitis B fact sheet & consent form

(girls only)

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine (Gardasil)


0, 1-2,6 months

HPV fact sheet & consent form

High school immunization clinics

We hold immunization catch-up clinics at some high schools so students can get their required booster shots of tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis. We can also give other shots that were missed.  

Choosing not to immunize your child

Immunization is not mandatory in Ontario. However, choosing not to immunize your child is a serious decision. If you make this decision, you must follow these steps:

  • File a legal exemption, which must be notarized and signed by a Commissioner of Oaths*
  • Give copies of the legal exemption to Public Health and your child’s school or daycare

*A Commissioner of Oaths is empowered to administer and witness the swearing of oaths or solemn affirmations in the taking of an affidavit for legal matters. Commissioners include: Head of Municipal Council, Clerk or Deputy Clerk, Treasurer or Deputy Treasurer, Reeve or Depute Reeve, Lawyer, Member of Provincial Parliament.