The facts are clear: there’s no safe amount and no safe time to drink during pregnancy.
Research over the past 40 years has shown that any amount of alcohol could harm a developing baby. It can cause a range of symptoms called Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). FASD can result in permanent brain damage and a range of physical, emotional, behavioural, and learning disabilities.
September 9 is World FASD Awareness Day. Help us spread the word that the safest choice is to have an alcohol-free pregnancy.
- Provide alcohol-free options when you throw a party
- Share a mocktail (mocktail recipes)
- Don’t pressure anyone to drink – half of pregnancies are unplanned
- Don’t tell a pregnant woman that it’s ok to “just have one”
Everyone is welcome to visit our new facility and learn more about Public Health programs and services in Dufferin county.
- When: Thursday, September 11, 2014 from 4-6 p.m.
- Where: Public Health office/clinic at 180 Broadway, Orangeville
Gain a deeper understanding of the challenges – and strengths – of people living in poverty in this one-day workshop.
“I have been to many workshops and have never come away from a day with as much information and desire to make changes in our system as I do now. In those few hours that you spent with us today, you've made a huge impact on how I plan to help my clients and I am grateful."
- Social Worker
- Examine the impact of poverty on families
- Explore the hidden rules of economic class
- Identify ways to improve relationships
- Develop new tools to better address individuals' needs
This workshop is delivered by Elaine Weir, Certified Bridges Trainer.
- Date: June 10, 2015
- Time: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (8:30 a.m. registration)
- Location: Public Health, 160 Chancellors Way, Guelph [view map]
- Cost: $60 (includes light breakfast, lunch, and a book)
Call 1-800-265-7293 ext. 4533 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This workshop is a partnership among Bridges Out of Poverty, Circles Guelph Wellington, and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health.
We want to know what makes life in Guelph great. Tell us what you think and you could win an iPad mini or a $50 gift card. This short survey will take 5-10 minutes of your time.
Wellbeing includes things like:
- Leisure and culture
- Living standard
- Time use
- Community vitality