- Eat well
- Be active every day
- Take a multivitamin with folic acid (women)
- Avoid tobacco, alcohol, and drugs
- Talk to your doctor about routine tests and immunizations
To learn more about health before having a baby:
- Healthy Baby Healthy Brain: Tips for Future Mother's Health - A checklist for women
- Healthy Baby Healthy Brain: Tips for Future Father's Health - A checklist for men
- Toronto Public Health: Before Pregnancy Your Reproductive Life Plan – Information for anyone who is – or isn't – planning to have a baby.
Have an alcohol-free pregnancy!
The facts are clear – there is no safe amount or safe time to drink alcohol during pregnancy or when planning to be pregnant.
To learn more about having an alcohol-free pregnancy:
- Are You Thinking of Becoming Pregnant? – Public Health Agency of Canada
- The Healthy Pregnancy Guide: Alcohol and Pregnancy